Friday, June 10, 2016

A Day in the Life: Day 10 of My Freelance Journey

Here's what I didn't know when I decided to try freelance writing:
1.  It's all-consuming.  Truly, I think about essay ideas all day long.  I pour over websites and blogs listing publications that accept unsolicited, newbie freelance submissions.  I have started carrying a three-subject Five Star notebook in my bag so I can jot down goals, submissions, and results.  So far, it's heavy on ideas, short on results.
2.  It's hard.  So hard.  The hardest part, so far has been waiting.  In more rational moments, I know that editors are busy pouring over the hundreds or thousands of submission they receive.  In my more anxious moments, though, I'm screaming READ IT! EMAIL ME! CHOOSE ME!
3.  It's fun.  I had no idea how quickly an hour could fly.  I have been working harder on this project than almost anything else I've ever done.  My goal is to keep working that hard.  Pry the publishing doors open and shove myself through.  (Just kidding, editors, I'm just politely persistent.)
4.  It's scary. I've written essays exposing the black holes in my mind and the scabs on my heart, and I've gone deep into those creepy black holes and I've scratched the scabs, and it's hard.  I've always rejected therapy because I didn't want to have difficult emotional discussions, but suddenly, I'm having those emotional discussions with myself as I pour over ways to make my worst heartbreaks into "art."
5.  There are so many options.  One entire section of the aforementioned 3 subject notebook is a long list of publications I'm excited about.  There are writing contests I want to enter, and blogs I want to be a part of, and writers I want to read.  Who knew?  There's an entire world of literature and great works that I can't wait to be a part of.

So I'm committed.  I'm sticking with this.  Eventually, I'll see results.

In the meantime, if anyone is reading this and has any advice, comment please! Writers need attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment