Sunday, June 5, 2016

What Do Editors Do After I Hit "Submit"?

I've been hitting the "submit" button on website submissions non-stop since last Monday when I started trying to get published.  I'm new at this, so I have no idea what reasonable expectations are, but as a new writer, still hopeful, and ambitious, and insecure, I need an immediate reply.  I need just one to write back and say, "That's it!  You're published! Here's your $10,000." 

Okay, I get it.  That's unrealistic on every level.

But no matter how great I think a piece is when I hit submit, everyday that goes by without an acceptance/validation, I am more and more sure that my writing is "pedestrian."  I don't know why that's my go to word for it; I'm not even really sure I know what it means.  But that's what goes on in a writer's head while we wait.

So, editors of the world, tell us; what do you do in the hours and days between "submit" and reply?  Is it possible you just actually have a life beyond work and you're not in the office?  If that's it, good for you.  Just let us know.

No comments:

Post a Comment