Friday, June 3, 2016

A short bio?! Who am I?

Get into freelance writing, they said.  It'll be fun, they said. 

How hard can it be? I like to write.  I'll write about anything.  So I did.  I wrote a few essays, searched for appropriate publications and was all set to submit, until the scary part happened.

"Please provide a short bio."

Why is this the hardest part of writing?  Why can I write a 1,000 word essay about my niece, detailing exactly who she is and I can't find "less than 400 words" to say about myself?

I'm an attorney.  Great--I hate that.  I hate identifying myself by my job.

I run.  Oh, so you run for a team? No.  Training for the Olympics?  Nope.  I run because I hate stress and love pizza. 

What do you do for fun?  Well, my dog has some interesting personality quirks and that takes up a lot of my free time.  I read.  I write, obviously.  Occasionally, I even interact with other humans.

Freelance writing is already more difficult than I thought, and I haven't even hit submit.

If anyone's reading this, leave a thought.  How do you describe yourself?  What is that makes you so uniquely you that no one else's 400 words or less would be the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment